This article is based on the addition of physical components that alter physical properties of how distillation vapors are being handled.
Update: there is a few con artists going around selling a methodology while tricking their customers into thinking its novel and unique. Anybody who signs a NDA or rights to this process needs to know that the NDA is invalid. The reason is due to the “tips and tricks” marketed as “trade secret” is just first year O-chem. Nothing Novel, unique or not easily known. While collecting 2-10 thousand dollars per consult we suggest these easily conned individuals should wake up and get their hard earned money back. Just because you didnt know to do some internet research into published articles and known literature doesn’t meant its okay to be taken advantage of. Here is a detailed break down including reasons why his incorrect isomerization assumption exists and why the testing is so low. So low none of these guys are willing to even discuss it.
- use 190 proof ethanol. the reason this is being used is to create a azetrope evaporation between phenol acid, other acid, and some water based compounds.some the reasoning behind the use of 190 proof alcohol is because as the initial user will dilute the oleo resin and the added water allows some extra crystallization during winterization; this is a common known fact. one interesting point to be made is the residual water left behind. in a 2l load flask this can be 1-2 ounces, so the step in between the processes is now setup. this step would be a slow reflux/slow evaporation of steam between 60-80c, instead of ramping mantle temperatures up higher faster it is allowed to dwell. during this dwelling time the evaporation of water starts to taper off and takes alot of other semi volatile compounds with it. these typically come out during the standard method of ramping temps up, but this way you can see them in your trap. what is left behind is a ionic exchange between several molecules in the mix that will allow to the end of the heads fraction to generate a heavy blue azulene extraction. this is their indicator, which is not as useful as it seems. but the claim in point isnt a specific trade secret, its just a azeotrope evaporation reaction that occurs.
- the second claim has been talked about many times in distillation. loading the column with more theoretical plates. this is a positive as the claim that “color body” molecules are in fact being withheld. it is however non discriminate between materials used. one way is to load larger glass beads ontop of the vig section, maybe a half inch tall, then progressively load small beads until appropriate height is reached so there is a bead gradient. this is one of the most efficient methods of loading a column without loosing vapor pressure flow. in some other suggested methods could be the use of a cheap dollar store scrubbie that is cleaned and aligned upwards. some of the packing methods using foreign compounds offer thermal conductivity but a sloppy path for the vapors to travel upwards. great experimentation can be used to side by side different methods. this also presents a troublesome issue. during initial distillation and removal of the terpshwitz band of molecules(heads) there are many volatile and semi volatile compounds that are sensitive to time and rejection rates that create degradation effect. essentially what this means is alot of the compounds that were supposed to leave the system sooner were withheld from exiting the path and over a period of time and temperature scales being increased they break down. those same compounds that were supposed to leave prior to the cannabanoid fraction are now exiting during the cannabanoid fraction. this is what leaves SUCH a huge gap in the testing issue from being on point. there are numerous other compounds being extracted under vacuum and temperature that should have been fully removed and discarded during the heads section. this with the next step is a proponent to a clean visual identifier of a blue fraction, claimed to be azulene. also a common use item as this will make more sense as you read along.
- there is a claim of “trade secret” with the use of carbon. the trade secret is the preparation of carbon that creates as these con artists persist a “decarboxylization” effect. this is 100% untrue and should be regarded as #pseudowookscience. the carbon is not isomerizing itself under the requires 250c temperatures in a oven. and the claim was also put in place the type of transformation of the carbon that is occurring when being prepared in a oven overnight under vacuum is a key proponent to the isomerization of d9 to d8 this is occurring during the claimed “head swap” and the retained energy during rejection from head packing, however well get into that later. so what is really going on with carbon. the simplest verifiable scientific explanation for why this step is being used is that the heat itself bakes the water out, and creates a type of “polarity” during the removal of water and moisture. this is considered a ionic added reaction. carbon is activated and treated appropriately has a effect that is increased with temperature. this is a known fact since cold carbon is useless and warmer carbon works better. in this case the transportation and delivery methods of carbon are weak, and hard to control. so moisture gets into carbon and retains the molecular receptors like a key and lock. using a oven to bake out the carbon is just a way of reactivating it. i am no scientist, but i can promise you this information is widely available with a better explanation. there is no chemical reaction occurring that makes the carbon powders in question even remotely available for isomerization of claimed molecular conversion in these pdfs being sold to trick users.
- the next step is using carbon as a adsorbent. whah? yea something that simple we’ve been talking about for a long time. the claim is actually variable between clients and how much they life the said person. it can be added as say….
a. 500ml scrubbed oleoresin to 250ml of treated carbon powder.
b. 500ml scrubbed oleoresin to 400-500ml of treated carbon powder.
so as you can see the effect that carbon has would yield around 150-200ml of distillate. this is a sponge like effect. this is due to the fact that you are altering the a – b molecular boiling point effect. some of the healthier compounds are rushing up past the packed head. and the heavier ones arent. this return is what is creating a high amount of tension and during the rejected phase and extended run times using a adsorbent in the process; the degradation of compounds that are intended to come out easier are now extensively being damaged and abused. this is also what is allowing those degraded prior compounds to now come out later during the cannabanoid band. a careful note to the process and the effect shows us that those previous “clearer” fraction we generally see, that arent cannabanoids in the heads – now are coming out, tainting the % and the result. a bit of trickery.
- there is another claim that changing the head will increase quality, having two heads, one for the heads, and one for the main body. or the use of cleaning the head mid way through. removal and cleaning of the heads mid way through and re installation during the time when the flask is hot is a laboratory NO-NO. it will immediately void your warranty with summit hardware, and it will immediately put you at risk. first off all gas off and exchange with oxygen is degrading the solution inside, and the joint health and will prevent proper grease seal. the other more dangerous issue is the thermal equatorial expansion of glass vacuum joints. during removal the main flask will be very hot, and in most cases expanded. allowing a rapid swap of both a head that hasn’t been exposed to the same heat, and expansion rate will excessively place the male joint deeper and when it equated to the expansion it is going to see, this causes intense stress and can relate to implosions of glass. this method should be avoided at all costs as it is a warranty and a concern for safety that these jabronis selling this tech are avoiding to tell you about. the real reason is the lack of processing skills allowing them to sufficiently remove all previous fractions from the head that leads them to think switching the head mid way through is a great idea.
as you can see paying someone for this info, well, here it is. this is copied and generalized from three authentic pdfs sold by one individual who intends to profit from this basic knowledge, and who intends to try and license and incite legal fear into people who pay him. non of this is unknown or novel or unique in any way. this process yields low numbers both in potency and in results. this is absolutely NOT valuable information that is protected by NDA, we suggest people who have been taken advantage of should get their money back.
there you go.
One of the most common issues is the belief that any one user of such technique does not require pre polishing material. this in turn related to mixed boiling points being present. potency is vastly across the board. the mechanical effect is how heavier molecules are handled in the vapor path. the longer chain compounds and the ones with pigmentation (not uv index) are attracted to a higher surface area, creating a disruptive path. this is by no means a effective way to accomplish what can be done with scientific procedure, but it is a lazy mans way to reduce colors. the stability and potency is questionable and sometimes different hues become present as the material oxidizes and or degrades with ultraviolet light.
The truth be told even some of these processes are relevant, but the pre processing steps must be taken to hit stability and high numbers. a good recommendation would be to winterize, carbon scrub, fraction a main body. repeat winterization, then do a hexane salt water wash, then repop your main body. this should be hitting above 95% to creep higher in potency after the process it during another step to get cleaner distillate color.
the tips are for the head you pack with:
carbon(hexane high temp washed
the tips for the flask are:
adding sodium meta bisulfite
adding carbon b chunks
hot gas scrub solution prior to distillation
these are all tools required to make horrific batches into marvelous batches. as the yields will drop, sometimes colors create a vibrant increase in visual appeal. even if your distillate is at 95% and you are mastering the higher end of yields/quality, sometimes this is done just to show off. creating a physical interruption in what molecules pass through the process can create a effect that is desired. typically the work you put in will be the result you get. if you attempt to cheat the timing it takes to do some of the processing steps, you may get a transparent clear but the water soluble compounds and mixed boiling points will still be there. so it is wise to follow the right steps in a path to perfection.